Position Title: Effects Technical Director
Reports To: Talent Manager, Effects
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Date: 19 October 2017
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the Effects TD generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems
· Light complex/multiple elements; communicates status of shots to supervisors and Production
· Provides accurate time estimates for shotwork
· Responsible for handing off elements to other departments i.e. comp and rendering teams
· Presents shot work in dailies; attend dailies and other department meetings
· Mentor junior Effects artists
· Data management of shots including clean up
· Special projects as needed
Reports to the Talent Manager, Effects and receives daily oversight and direction from the Lead/Effects Supervisor.
· At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience.
· Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye
· Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
· Production pipeline experience
· Strong communication and follow-through
· Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
· Experience with either Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, or similar software
· Basic understanding of the physics of simulation
· Linux and scripting ability in Python
· Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions
Salary & Benefits
$62,600 – $99,300 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email Alannah Shaffer with your resume: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: 30 November 2017
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.