Position Title: Creature Technical Director
Reports To: Talent Manager, Creature
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) Fixed-Term
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the Creature Technical Director is responsible for rigging and enveloping hero to background creature, vehicles and props in Maya. The Creature Technical Director is able to wrangle rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and guidance of their supervisors; and has the ability to run flesh-surface, hair, rigid sim, crowd, and/or cloth simulations.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Provide rigging and enveloping in Maya for various vehicles, characters, and creatures
· Run cloth, hair, rigid body, crowd, or muscle simulations
· Troubleshoot creature pipeline issues for artists in other disciplines
· Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in Maya
· Participate in reviews, dailies, and department meetings as required
· Mentor entry level artists
· Special projects as necessary
Reports to the CG Talent Manager, Creature and receives daily oversight and direction from the Lead/Creature Supervisor.
· At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience.
· Experience as Maya rigger for assets in digital animation, visual effects, games, commercials
· Experience running simulation shotwork
· Experience in corrective sculpting
· Knowledge of anatomy and enveloping
· Positive Attitude and team player
· Good communication skills
· Proficiency with Linux
· Expertise with Maya
· Experience with python scripting
· Experience with Massive or Houdini crowd software
· Basic proficiency in another discipline -modeling, texture, TD, animation
Salary & Benefits
$62,600 – $99,300 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage.
Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Please email Marilou Sayco with your resume: firstname.lastname@example.org
Business Address & Work Location
Suite 400-21 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.