The Junior Matchmove/Layout Artist is responsible for creating camera moves and rough blocking within a digital environment. When live-action photography is involved, the Junior Layout Artist accurately recreates the set, camera moves, and actor performances to allow for seamless effects integration. In the CG Layout process, Camera matchmoves and original CG camera moves are integrated to create the framework of each Sequence (matchmoving is the replication of the real set, camera and camera move within the computer for later use by animators and technical directors). Often this includes manipulating both 2d and 3d elements, while maintaining accurate camera perspective. In some cases a sequence might be entirely Computer Generated with no live action background elements. The Junior Layout Artist works as part of the larger layout team which acts as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements.
● Troubleshoot flow of shotwork in/out of department
● Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
● Entry level shot work for camera tracking, character matching (matchanim), solving lens distortion, creative camera work and deformation matching of surfaces
● Strong communication and follow through; proactive, self-sufficient individual
● Responsible for escalation of tech issues to appropriate show or tech group
● Understands the process of setting up a new shot
● Understands the process of 2D tracking and solving the camera, exporting and maketaking them
Reports to the Talent Manager, Matchmove/Layout and receives daily oversight and direction from the Matchmove/Layout Supervisor.
● At least two years of relevant VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least three years of relevant professional VFX experience.
● Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
● Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
● Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
● Strong English communication skills
● Scripting knowledge (Python, Mel) a plus
● Experience with stereoscopic camera tracking desired
● Advanced knowledge of Linux, Maya and 3dEqualizer is required.
● A demo reel or portfolio demonstrating a strong understanding of camera tracking is required.
Salary & Benefits
$55,000 – $65,000 annual salary; plus full benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, MSP coverage. Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
Business and Work Location:
Suite 400 – 21 Water Street
Vancouver BC V6B 1A1
About Industrial Light and Magic Inc.
In 2013, ILM planted roots in Vancouver and just a year later, the company expanded into a new 30,000 square-foot studio space in Gastown. A hotbed for the creative arts, Vancouver has now grown into a hotbed for production and is a perfect location for ILM’s first Canadian studio. Executive in Charge of Production, Randal Shore, leads the world-class production team and a crew of talented veteran artists in collaboration with ILM’s other global studios to make ILM more versatile, more flexible, and more prepared than ever to take on the constantly evolving challenges in the entertainment industry.