LEAD FX TD – Image Engine, Vancouver, BC
Contract: starting January/February, 2015
Are you interested in working for a growing, independent, award winning studio? This opportunity involves working in a strong, R&D supported pipeline, a friendly and collaborative environment, and with a group of passionate artists all working towards realizing the Director’s dream.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL DO:
The FX Lead must assume responsibility for delivering all the FX work for the film, and more specifically:
- Communicate the creative brief and real-world references from the VFX Supervisor and Director to the FX team
- Determine the broad technical and creative approach, in conjunction with the CG Supervisor
- Overcome technical issues (day to day problem solving), in conjunction with R&D and the CG Supervisor
- Break down the work into smaller and more manageable challenges, then plan and prioritize how to tackle them
- Work with our production team to most effectively schedule the work, including casting the work to the strengths of the individuals in the FX team
- Work with production and supervisors to accurately estimate the time required for all the FX work on the show
- Receive creative feedback from the VFX Supervisor and Director, and translate those into more specific and technical notes for the FX team
- Communicate well with all members of the FX, Production and Supervision teams
- Assist members of the FX team to learn and grow their skills to meet their career aspirations
- Work with R&D and the leads and supervisors of other shows to guide the overall approach to FX work at Image Engine
- Maintain sufficient hands-on experience to be able to assist with shot work from time to time, and keep up their skills
THIS IS WHAT WE REQUIRE:
- Expert knowledge and demonstrated work experience in Houdini
- Strong aptitude for technical workflow challenges such as directory structure, file formats, naming conventions, scripts, automation tools, automated dailies, etc.
- Excellent problem solver who can focus on detail, while maintaining the whole picture
- HScript is a minimum requirement, python scripting preferred
- Python scripting, C++ and RenderMan shader coding is a bonus
- Experience with other solvers and simulation tools (e.g. Naiad, realflow, Bullet, Blastcode, etc) is a bonus
The FX Lead should have experience leading medium to large size teams (i.e. 6+ people) on large projects (300+ shots).
HERE’S HOW TO APPLY:
If this role is for you, e-mail your resume, and a link to a reel and breakdown to email@example.com. The subject should read “Lead FX TD – your name”.