VFX PRODUCER – Image Engine, Vancouver, BC
Contract: Starting January 2016
ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Well known for our work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, Image Engine has gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films! We are led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement at our studio.
The Producer position is vital to the successful delivery of high quality visual effects for our clients. The Producer will be responsible for the effective management of on time and on budget show delivery. They will liaise between Image Engine clients and the VFX Supervisors to manage, conform, and drive the schedule to ensure clients’ needs are met and ensure the profitability of each project. The Producer will be present and build relationships with artists, Production Managers and Coordinators alike to be on the pulse of production needs and issues. They will use their organizational skills to keep track of all shots or assets to assess budgetary implications. They will mitigate overtime/potential additional staffing costs by planning and managing resources as well as communicating change orders clearly to clients as well as the VFX Executive Producer.
Producers will use their calm and positive demeanor, to anticipate and resolve issues. They will adapt to change and have the ability to modify schedules as client needs shift. They keep track of workflow progress through personal interactions with Image Engine clients, Production Managers, Coordinators, Department Supervisors as well as Shotgun. They will alert the VFX Executive Producer of any client issues or problems which may result in workflow delays.
The Producer will manage, coach, and guide direct and indirect reports to ensure smooth interdepartmental communication and workflow. They will take accountability for show progress and will utilize their people skills to manage direct reports to meet show deadlines. Producers will be responsible for employee performance management and supervision within their team.
Equally, the Producer will motivate the artists and production team during peak periods. They will take initiative to develop employee engagement initiatives with HR to maintain/increase morale.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interview, select and train Production Managers
- Engage in the performance management process such as performance reviews, daily feedback, and mentoring for direct reports (2-5 people)
- Administer VFX productions internally and with the client(s)
- Manage workflow to balance production schedule and employee resources
- Manage the production schedule with the VFX Supervisor to ensure the right balance between time spent & quality of shots
- Maintain the ‘bid’ in coordination with the VFX Executive Producer
- Represents the company externally and internally
- Work closely with VFX Supervisor and/or CG Supervisor(s)/ Sequence Supervisor(s) to:
- Hold team dailies
- Perform rounds at artists desks
- Provide schedule visibility to the team and the executives
- Help the supervisors ‘sell’ the shots to the clients(s)
- Help manage resources: renderfarm, licenses, R&D, etc.
- Discipline the artists on a day-to-day basis to maintain a high standard of work within the deadlines
- Bid shots with help from the VFX Supervisor and the team and present to the VFX Executive Producer to review
- Communicate with external vendors for outsourcing purposes
- Manage, mentor and empower Production Managers in their respective areas
- Use time management skills to schedule meetings and tasks effectively
- Manage time and resources to meet weekly targets
- Other duties and responsibilities consistent with your position may be assigned to you from time to time
- Ability to train and coach production staff
- 5+ year’s credited work experience as a VFX Producer on major feature films
- Experience on a large (300+ shots) multi-vendor production
- Supervisory experience is an asset
- Excellent client and crew management skills
- Thorough understanding of live-action and CG based VFX workflows
- Proven ability to manage high revenue budgets
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (specifically Excel)
- Existing industry contacts
- Experience with Shotgun database
- Production-side experience a bonus
- Outsource experience not required, but definitely preferred
- Highly organized, first-class time/project management skills
- Excellent client and crew management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capable of motivating and leading a large team, with enthusiasm and clarity
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
Please apply via our website: http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc02/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?cws=1&org=IMAGEENGINE