SHOW PIPELINE TD: Image Engine, Vancouver, BC
CONTRACT: January 2016
ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Well known for our work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, Image Engine has gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films! We are an independently owned and operated company, led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement at our studio.
The Senior Pipeline/Show Pipeline TD essentially provides a first line of support for a show. It could span from production matters to color profiles configurations and back again. You will write tools for all the departments including Assets, Animation, BG Prep, Effects and Lighting.
The Senior Pipeline/Show TD use their exceptional communication skills to listen to artists, coordinators, and producers challenges and either educate them with an existing solution or translate and implement their struggle into a specific tool which enables them to coordinate and execute show requirements effectively.
Senior Pipeline/Show TDs are primary point of contact on a show but first and foremost they are also part of the core pipeline team. They are supported by the entire software group in their undertakings. You are not alone!
Senior Pipeline TDs are primary point of contact for shows like the emergency staff in a hospital but they are supported by the entire software group in their undertakings of course. You are not alone!
Senior Pipeline/Show TDs also contribute to the overall operation and improvement of the Facility Pipeline. This will include but will not be limited to engaging in cross-department communication, flagging/providing solutions to critical path issues, and creating documentation. In addition, they help develop new process and innovative solutions to bring Image Engine artistry to the next level.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determine the broad technical and creative approach, in conjunction with the Head of Technical Production or Pipeline Lead
- Provide support to the VFX departments and to the Productions in the smooth running of tasks through our pipeline
- Build and maintain elements of the pipeline with an emphasis on optimizing the flow of our processes
- Create facility-based or show-based scripts and tools
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the Head of Technical Production or Pipeline Lead
- Provide support for artists in learning and using the pipeline
- Be an additional point of support for shot based issues, alongside leads and supervisors
- Act as a liaison for communicating technical issues to IT or R&D
- Use time management skills to schedule tasks effectively
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 4+ years’ experience as a Pipeline TD (some of that experience directly supporting a show)
- A degree or equivalent in Computer Graphics, Computer Science or other related course
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of technical quality
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable experience of Python and shell scripting is required. C or C++ is a plus
- Pro-active, very meticulous and accurate in your coding
- Experience with Linux is required
- Knowledge of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, and/or Shotgun is a plus
- Experience building software (SConstruct, CMake) is a plus
- Ability to monitor and identify potential inefficiencies in a production pipeline
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to take direction and feedback from a supervisor or a peer
- Team oriented with good communication skills, able to work closely with artists
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Excellent time management and communication skills