SENIOR LIGHTING TD: Image Engine, Vancouver, BC
CONTRACT: Starting February 2016
ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Well known for our work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, Image Engine has gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films! We are led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement at our studio.
The Senior Lighting Artist is responsible for delivering high quality shots in a quick and efficient manner. They will act as an example to and mentor junior artists and will deliver all tasks within the required timeframe. They will exhibit a positive/calm demeanor and maintain morale levels during peak production periods. They will quality check all of their work and occasionally will assist the Leads to quality check the work of junior artists should the workload require it. They will maintain clarity and focus during peak periods to ensue show delivery.
In addition, Senior Lighters will assist the Leads and Lighting Supervisor to flag issues. They will potentially assist in the Lead role on a short term basis in the event of an absence or production needs require it. They will participate in team meetings when necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply client notes to all lighting shots with minimal guidance
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the Lighting Supervisor
- Take direction from the Lighting Supervisor to help realize the vision of the shots through the compositing team
- Work with Composting team members to achieve high quality complex composites
- Design and develop procedural and innovative tool sets, pipelines and techniques for the Lighters
- Ensure continuity is upheld across shots and sequences
- Offer guidance and mentoring for junior to mid-level lighter
- Light multiple types of shot ensuring consistency in lighting, colour balance and mood between the various elements of the shot or scene
- Manage time and resources to meet weekly targets
- Promote interdepartmental collaboration
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ experience in Lighting digital VFX for film or commercials
- Good understanding of photography and film, and how the interactions of light, lenses and film emulsions go to make up the image
- Thorough understanding of a linear color-space workflow
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling shots
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Expert knowledge of PRMan or a RenderMan compliant renderer like 3Delight
- Strong aptitude for technical workflow challenges such as directory structure, file formats, naming conventions, scripts, automation tools, automated dailies, etc.
- Strong knowledge of lighting workflow and the lighting application interface
- Ability to help with bidding; determine the timeframe and scope required for each project
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to create multiple types of Lighting scenarios
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm during peak production periods and maintain the morale of the lighting team