LEAD TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (Render Wrangler): Image Engine, Vancouver, BC
CONTRACT: Starting January 2016
ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Well known for our work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, Image Engine has gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films! We are an independently owned and operated company, led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement at our studio.
The Lead Technical Assistant will take ownership of the daily performance of the company’s computer systems including monitoring renders, providing queue support to users, monitoring disk servers, performing backups/restores, and handling incoming/outgoing data transfers. They will work with the IT Manager to identify/prioritize current or potential system requirements or issues to enable Image Engine Artists to complete their role effectively, with minimal downtime or disruptions.
In addition, Lead Technical Assistant will be proactive in researching, analyzing and recommending new solutions to create efficiencies and improve studio operations. The Lead Technical Assistant will have a vital role in the development and management of the Technical Assistant team.
Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to code from time to time. This position will also provide technical assistance, support and assist computer users with hardware and software questions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage in the performance management process such as performance reviews, daily feedback, and mentoring
- Review scope of work and assign tasks based on artist skills/abilities
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the IT Manager
- Manage studio resources, including disk space and render farm utilization
- Monitor the studio ticketing system and overall health of the render & storage resources
- Prepare incoming/outgoing data transfers
- Prepare Storage and Rendering Projections on a regular basis
- Troubleshoot and correct failing tasks
- Perform backups and restores; maintain tape library and database; update online database
- Assist in writing tools and the maintenance of the operations manual and procedures; make recommendations and enhance procedures to increase productivity, organization and efficiency
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Provide input into potential rendering improvements in efficiency, reliability and performance
- Assist & mentor the Technical Assistant team
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- CS degree or equivalent experience.
- Exposure to Linux/Unix administration.
- 3 years of VFX pipeline experience including:
- An understanding of film imagery, formats of image files and codecs
- Experience with Renderfarm and farm management (ie. Qube, Tractor)
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting VFX software packages (Maya, 3Delight, Nuke etc.)
- Experience with high-end/ high capacity storage systems
- Experience with license servers (FlexLM, RLM)
- Experience with imaging service (Cobbler)
- Experience with maintaining production tracking systems (Shotgun)
- Experience with installing software packages centrally
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Linux experience (proficiency with basic tools).
- Good understanding of Linux, Windows, and Apple operating systems
- Skilled at troubleshooting and fixing problems while minimizing customer stress levels
- Familiarity with most basic system administration tools and processes.
- Familiarity with networked/distributed computing concepts.
- Scripting language experience (eg. Perl, Python).
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Must be able to multi-task and maintain a positive attitude when working under pressure
- Capable of motivating and leading a team, with enthusiasm and clarity
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with people with various levels of technical proficiency
- Desire to provide excellent customer support in a production environment
- Excellent documentation skills
- Interest in computer animation and visual effects
Please apply via our website: http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc02/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?cws=1&org=IMAGEENGINE