INTERMEDIATE FX TD – Image Engine, Vancouver, BC
Contract: starting December 2015/January 2016
ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Well known for our work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, Image Engine has gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films! We are led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement at our studio.
The Mid FX TD is responsible for delivering high quality work for Image Engine shows within the assigned timeframe. They will apply notes provided by the FX Supervisors/FX Leads. They will proactively seek solutions with FX Leads and members of other departments. They will identify and troubleshoot problems as needed and will ask for assistance when necessary to ensure effective use of time and resources. Mid FX TDs will communicate with other departments to ensure they are receiving data to resolve shot related problems.
Mid FX TDs will work with FX Supervisors and Leads to implement FX solutions for Image Engine shows. They will communicate with other Leads and artists that are assigned to the show to make sure work completed is consistent.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create multiple types of realistic and believable effects (ie. rigid body and particle dynamics, procedural geometry generation, fluid dynamics and cloth simulations) with needed supervision and within the studio pipeline
- Address your Leads critiques and comments while providing solutions to aesthetic issues to improve the shot and maintaining a quality level as described by your Supervisor/ Lead.
- Manage time and resources to meet weekly targets
- Provide dailied versions for assigned tasks in an agreed upon time by your Supervisor/ Lead
- Attend dailies, reviews, and team meetings as required
- Work with FX team, as required, to maintain shot continuity; as well as, support other departments (Lighting, Compositing, etc) to ensure information is communicated up and down the pipeline
- Provide input regarding existing tools and interfaces for FX pipeline and provide solutions for technical problems that may arise in a shot, sequence or with a film format
- Estimate the time required for tasks and provide accurate progress reports
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 3 years+ of feature film/TV production experience
- Demonstrated work experience with Houdini
- Proficient in Houdini
- Understanding of natural phenomenon and how to replicate them using FX techniques, good knowledge of the underlying mathematical principles and a desire to learn more depending on the requirements of each project
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to train and coach artists in Houdini
- Solid knowledge and demonstrated work experience in Houdini
- Able to create multiple types of FX from simple to difficult
- Strong aptitude for technical workflow challenges such as directory structure, file formats, naming conventions, scripts, automation tools, automated dailies, etc.
- HScript is a minimum requirement, python scripting preferred
- Python scripting, C++ and RenderMan shader coding is a bonus
- Experience with other solvers and simulation tools (e.g. Naiad, realflow, Bullet, Blastcode, etc) is a bonus
- Excellent eye for detail for quality control
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities
- The ability to work alongside, communicate with, and understand the requirements of Animators, CG and VFX Supervisors, Assets Department, Creature FX, Lighting, Comp, R&D and Pipeline developers
- Excellent problem solver who can focus on detail, while maintaining the whole picture
- Excellent time management and communication skills
HOW TO APPLY
Apply via our website: http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc02/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?cws=1&org=IMAGEENGINE