• This is a dual office administration and HR role in a creative environment. The Studio Operations Manager/HR Generalist works closely with the company’s Vancouver-based executive management team and the Los Angeles-based HR department. They play a key role in raising the profile of FuseFX as an employer of choice in the Vancouver visual effects community.
HR and Recruiting Functions (50%)
• Oversee local recruiting activities in collaboration with the LA-based recruiting team. Attend job fairs, networking events, and other forms of outreach to the Vancouver VFX community
• Schedule and participate in interviews. Assist colleagues in preparing for interviews, and presenting Fuse’s team as personable and well-organized. Strive to make the experience of interviewing at FuseFX a positive one for every candidate.
• Work with other members of the recruiting team to maintain a record of candidates and interviews for future reference.
• Understand the studio’s positioning among VFX companies, and work with LA-based staff in using social media to message this effectively to potential candidates
• Stay up-to-date with local employment and immigration laws. Assist with handling immigration paperwork on behalf of the company
• Onboard new employees, ensuring all paperwork is completed, policies are understood, and newcomers feel welcome
• Remain engaged with FuseFX staff throughout their time at the company, including training needs, opportunities for professional growth, retention, and departures
• Ensure terminations are handled professionally and with discretion
• Under the guidance of the Director of HR, implement the FuseFX employee review process at the Vancouver office, including tracking, scheduling and preparing timely reviews for staff.
• Capture staff feedback on freelancers and temporary staff who do not participate in the regular employee review process
• Assist in benefits administration
• Organize schedules for weekend work. To the extent possible, work with the Production team to ensure no individual team members are subject to excessive overtime. Ensure meals are provided as determined
• Collaborate with the Director of HR in Los Angeles to handle employee relations matters and advise other staff. Role model good employee relations practices
Office Administration Functions (50%)
• Coordinate timesheet collection for bi-weekly payroll, working with supervisors to ensure all employees submit accurate timesheets in a timely manner
• Oversee reception and make sure proper procedures are being used. Support receptionist / front desk duties – answering phones, receiving clients/visitors, checking media/drives in and out, regular restocking.
• Manage company vault, including secure handling of sensitive client materials
• Maintain a pleasant and functional office space. Oversee and coordinate all building maintenance. Handle furniture and supply requests. Communicate any facility-related issues to upper management, and suggest and coordinate solutions
• Complete first aid / fire warden training
• Assist Marketing team in taking photos and creating content for social media posts
• Organize office events, and look for opportunities to enhance employee experience and company culture at the Vancouver studio
• Ensure company and, where applicable, client security policies are understood by all FuseFX staff and adhered to at all times
• Keep an inventory of all office supplies & necessities. Place new supply orders on a regular basis.
• Track all office related costs / invoices / budgets
• Facilitate artist requests for demo reel materials, as determined by company policy
• Organize couriers, orders or deliveries as needed
• Organize and book travel for Vancouver-based employees, including flights, hotels, and car rentals
• Miscellaneous office duties as needed (e.g. changing light bulbs, building office furniture, breaking down boxes, updating database, updating spreadsheets, event planning, various administrative tasks)
• Minimum of 2 years experience in a HR role
• Previous experience in a VFX / post production facility required
• Must project an approachable, knowledgable and professional demeanor
• Must be comfortable managing a small team
• Excellent conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a high level of attention to detail
• Demonstrates initiative and a proactive attitude, e.g. consistently on the look-out for opportunities to make improvements
• Role requires exemplary confidentiality and discretion
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Please apply at: https://fusefx.com/jobs/studio-operations-manager-hr-generalist/
FuseFX is an award-winning visual effects studio that provides visual effects services for film, television, commercials, games, and special venues.
FuseFX has emerged as a leader in Visual Effects for episodic television, as well as increasing work on commercials and feature film productions. FuseFX has over 100 employees at their flagship office in Los Angeles, along with offices in New York City and Vancouver, Canada.
FuseFX BC was established in 2014 to serve Vancouver’s burgeoning film and television production community. Led by Jon Cowley, the team combines a boutique mindset with the industry’s most efficient pipeline and an ability to work seamlessly and nimbly as an extension of the company’s Los Angeles and New York studios. The results are visuals of outstanding quality and imagination, delivered on time and on budget.
FuseFX has developed a proprietary, highly efficient pipeline. This process differentiates the company from others in the business and allows for better quality control, faster turn around of shots, allows the artists to focus on the creativity of visual effects. The company has assembled a highly experienced team of artists, supervisors, and producers with a broad range of experience in all aspects of Visual Effects. The quality of the staff also differentiates FuseFX from its competitors.
Today, FuseFX’s three locations have over 30 television shows in production simultaneously, while also servicing various commercial and feature film projects. The company has exclusively provided Visual Effects for all the major studios, and on such productions as American Horror Story, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Criminal Minds, Sons of Anarchy, Bones, Mad Men, TURN, The Blacklist, The Magicians, and many others.
FuseFX was founded by David Altenau in 2006 and initially provided visual effects for a few network episodic productions. In 2008, Tim Jacobsen and Jason Fotter joined the company as partners and contributed to significant expansion, opening new offices in Burbank, and adding infrastructure and personnel to service multiple major episodic television programs as well as feature films and commercials. In 2014, FuseFX opened new offices in New York and Vancouver to service local clients in those markets, bringing on board Greg Anderson and Jon Cowley, respectively to head those operations and build teams dedicated to FuseFX’s mission to provide stellar visual effects.
As a philosophy, the principals at FuseFX believe that Visual Effects offer an amazing ability to go beyond the limits of what practical production can accomplish. We strive to work with our clients to create a vision and story that could not otherwise be accomplished without the tools and talents FuseFX offers.