Job Title: Rigger
Reports to: Rigging Supervisor
Purpose of the job:
We are seeking a Rigger to work alongside our talented crew at Digital Domain. Assignments will include creating efficient animation controls, setting up cloth and hair dynamics, implementing sophisticated mechanical rigging, applying realistic surface deformations, and development and automation tasks for the Rigging department. The role requires strong technical and communication skills, as well as a firm understanding of character design, animation, rigging, tool development, and production workflow. This position requires 2-3 continuous years of production rigging experience and reports to the show’s Rigging Lead.
- Run transfers for actor facial performances from high resolution facial capture data onto creature face.
- Troubleshoot issues with Animation.
- Work to improve the quality and help streamline the facial transfer process.
- With the guidance of the Rigging Supervisor, work on the automatic model correction process.
- Generate a variety of realistic creature, hero, digital double, vehicle and prop rigs.
- Produce custom rigs, implementing a variety of modular components (biped/quadruped limbs, wings, mechanics, etc.).
- Develop and maintain realistic facial rigs using a combination of proprietary and 3rd party toolsets
- Utilize and extend DD’s existing Python-based rigging tools. Develop utilities to optimize department workflows.
- Work with the Animation Department to ensure the successful handoff and execution of character rigs, including in-scene troubleshooting and rig optimization.
- Assist in the design and maintenance of the studio’s rigging pipeline.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Degree in computer science, art, animation, engineering, or equivalent experience that would equal that level of professionalism, problem solving and analytical skills.
- 2-3 years experience with production-level character rigging, scripting and tool development.
- Capable of developing the process for merging takes is strongly preferred.
- Able to ensuring all the multilayer of the facial rigs are set up and functioning correctly for animation within each shot is a plus.
- Ability to automate retargeting is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Maya’s rigging toolset, including: skeleton placement, skinning techniques, IK/FK setup, corrective blendShape workflow, expressions, utility nodes, and Maya deformers.
- Experience with nucleus and mayaMuscle dynamics.
- Familiarity with mocap ingestion & retargeting (motionBuilder, humanIK).
- Strong comprehension of anatomy and articulation (human and creature mechanics).
- Keen artistic eye to drive the look of realistic and appealing surface deformations.
- Production experience with Python scripting.
- Good modeling and animation skills.
- Working knowledge of linux, linear algebra, texture/UV layout & compositing.
- Passion for creating convincing digital characters a must!
Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands:
- Office working environment.
- Hours for this position are based on normal working hours but will require extra hours pending production needs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. Digital Domain Vancouver management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.
About Digital Domain
To apply for this position submit an application at: