Want to make awesome cartoons with amazingly talented teams in a cool new studio?
DHX Media – Vancouver is looking for an experienced Animation Director to join our team!
DHX Studios is seeking a driven, experienced Animation Director to lead a team of talented Animators on one of our awesome 3D productions! As the Animation Director, you will be directly responsible for the artistic output, operations and overall functioning of the animation department. This will be achieved by evaluating, implementing and supervising process, work flow and technical infrastructure that maximize quality and ensure viability. Team synergy and effectiveness will ensure success; therefore recruitment, team building and group dynamics will play a major part in this position.
You will get to:
- Direct animation and provide feedback to animators on composition, timing, performance, staging, blocking and overall style
- Review scripts, storyboards and layout and provide feedback to the Series Director
- Review the work of each Animator on a regular basis and approve shots for submission to the Editor
- Manage show resources through Shotgun (asset tracking system to ensure shows are staying on budget while maximizing creative objectives)
- Collaborate with Series Director to prioritize client requests and changes on an ongoing basis
- Collaborate with VFX Supervisor and Lighting Supervisor to achieve highest quality possible
- Collaborate with Production Management to ensure show status is effectively communicated throughout production
- Continually evaluate and improve story structure, shot flow, shot design and overall creative appeal
- Identify actions necessary to achieve task completion and to obtain results while meeting schedules, deadlines and performance goals
- Adapt traditional methods, concepts, models, designs, technologies or systems to new applications and devise new approaches to improve current processes and workflow
- Oversee the daily activities of the animation team
- Partner with management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring, assisting with resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale among the team
- Foster and enable communication and collaboration across departments
- Work with production team to identify appropriate staffing levels and needs.
- Set goals for others that can be achieved using available resources, and use previous measurable performance to establish goals within projected timeframe
You will be a great fit on our team if…
- 2+ years of animation direction experience in animation or television or equivalent experience
- Fluent in Maya
- Strong understanding of animation principles
- Strong understanding of cinematic storytelling principles and techniques
- Ability to effectively give direction and communicate storytelling
- Ability to identify strengths and weakness of animation team
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of production
- Ability to set priorities for yourself and others, as well as manage the progress of work
- Enjoy working in a team atmosphere and take a proactive approach to work
- Excellent management and problem solving skills
Specific skills we’d love to see…
- Have a good sense of humor
- Love everything about animation
Why work at DHX Media?
DHX Media delivers content that inspires, entertains and connects. But we create more than just animation, we build worlds and experiences for kids around the world. At our studios, quality, creativity and fun go hand in hand! Our teams dig into a diverse range of projects – from preschool and comedy to action-adventure – while enjoying awesome benefits, perks, and a whole lot of fun along the way. With some of Canada’s top creative talents, our studios are bursting with energy. So what are you waiting for? Come join us!
THANK YOU to all those who express interest in being a part of the DHX Studios team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted. DHX will accommodate people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required.
To apply: http://www.dhxmedia.com/
About DHX Media
At DHX Studios, we put creativity first! Built and based in Canada with studios coast to coast, DHX Studios is a global leader in the creation of kids and family entertainment.