Want to make awesome cartoons with amazingly talented teams in a cool new studio?
DHX Media – Vancouver is looking for an experienced Animation Director to join our team for a brand new, 3D comedy show for kids!
As the Animation Director you will work closely with the Series Director to define and maintain the animation style throughout the series. You will be directly responsible for the artistic output, of the animation department.
You will get to:
- Responsible for Defining the Animation Style for the series
- Create and maintain animation style guide for the series
- Work collaboratively with the Lead Technical Animator and Rigging Lead ensuring that performance can be hit with purposed rig set-up and adjust as needed
- Define and task the Animation Leads with creation the animation pose and cycle library throughout the series
- Review Storyboard Assembly animatic and prioritize task assignment to Animators with cycle and pose creation as needed Attend Storyboard Animatic Review, ask questions and raise any issues as needed.
- Work collaboratively with episodic editor ensuring animation is conforming to the approved edit
- Run Animation Kick Off meetings with Animation teams
- Attend Animation Hand Off, support Series Director in giving notes to Animation Lead
- Communicate all notes/draw overs in Shotgun continually in and out of dailies
- Do desk-side reviews with Leads and Artist as needed
- Provide feedback and direction to Animation Leads and animators ensuring character performance is being hit
- Responsible for all animation approvals for blocking/polish/fix tasks
- Ensure department approved submissions must be cleared from director Shotgun cue before end of day
- Review Series Director’s and Client Notes ensuring they are addressed flagging any issues or concerns regarding the execution of the notes
- Attend Animation Sequence Review with Animation Lead and Production as needed
- Review Series Director’s notes on Animation Animatic and propose a plan for Animatic send out to Partners
- Strong story sense and experience with pre-production, storyboards and animatics
- Collaborate with Production Management to ensure show status is effectively communicated throughout production.
- Identify actions necessary to achieve task completion and to obtain results while meeting schedules, deadlines and performance goals.
- Partner with management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring, assisting with resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale among the team.
- Foster and enable communication and collaboration across departments.
You will be a great fit on our team if…
- Minimum 5+ years combined experience as an animation or episodic director
- Advanced understanding of the Principles of Animation, human kinetics and real world physics
- Strong sense of story and structure
- Strong understanding of cinematic storytelling principles and techniques
- Ability to effectively give direction and communicate storytelling
- Ability to communicate processes, plans and concepts effectively
- Ability to work in teams/small groups
- Ability to identify and manage different needs of individuals, groups, etc.
- Ability to present specific viewpoints and influence others
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of production
- Ability to set priorities for yourself and others, as well as manage the progress of work
- Enjoy working in a team atmosphere and take a proactive approach to work
- Excellent management and problem solving skills
Specific skills we’d love to see…
- Have a great sense of humour
- Proficient in Maya
- Love everything about animation
- Know how to use Shotgun
- Have a willingness to learn
- And aspire to take your career to the next level
Why work at DHX Media?
DHX Media delivers content that inspires, entertains and connects. But we create more than just animation, we build worlds and experiences for kids around the world. At our studios, quality, creativity and fun go hand in hand! Our teams dig into a diverse range of projects – from preschool and comedy to action-adventure – while enjoying awesome benefits, perks, and a whole lot of fun along the way. With some of Canada’s top creative talents, our studios are bursting with energy. So what are you waiting for? Come join us!
THANK YOU to all those who express interest in being a part of the DHX Studios team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted. DHX will accommodate people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required.
To apply: http://dhxcareers-dhxmedia.icims.com/
About DHX Media
At DHX Studios, we put creativity first! Built and based in Canada with studios coast to coast, DHX Studios is a global leader in the creation of kids and family entertainment.