DHX Media is recognized worldwide for our diverse original properties and our work on some of the top brands in children’s entertainment. But we create more than just animation. We build worlds and experiences across all platforms from TV and games to online and mobile. Our staff dig into a wide variety of projects, from action to comedy and preschool to tween, and they get to enjoy awesome benefits and company events while they’re at it. With some of Canada’s top artists, writers and producers on our team, our studios are bursting with creative energy. So what are you waiting for? Come join us!
About the Position
As the Series Director you are responsible for leading the creative vision for the series on the floor with the production teams. You are also the creative link between the executive team, creators, show runners and production partners with the studio. Although you will oversee all phases of production in terms of the creative, your key responsibility is in supervising scripts, storyboards, performance, design and modelling. You will supervise and collaborate with the story board supervisor, art director and the episodic directors to maximize the creative objectives and ensure the promise of the series.
- Provide script notes to ensure story quality, great characterization, hilarity and white knuckled action
- Annotate scripts to suggest staging and direction for the story board hand off
- Help lead the casting initiative to find original and spot on performers
- Provide direction and define the sensation of the art direction and animation style in collaboration with the Art Director and Lead Animator
- Collaborate with the Art director to define the render style and final look of the series
- Provide direction to editorial to create animatics and help the story board supervisor in identifying key scenes for revision
- Hand off story boards to episode directors and supervise the animation process by providing notes throughout the animation cycle
- Provide notes to lighting and comp on final renders
- Lock all final episodes with editorial and call for necessary retakes to ensure the episode exceeds all expectations
- Consult with department heads and supervisor as to the technical feasibility of elements in the script and suggest production-friendly solutions that will maintain the vision of the series
- Minimum 4+ years combined experience as an episodic and series director
- Excellent understanding of animation timing and posing
- Familiarity with 3D animation and the strengths and weaknesses of CGI animation
- Storytelling principles and techniques
- Strong sense of story and structure
- Experience with script writing
- Excellent planning and management skills
- Ability to communicate processes, plans and concepts effectively
- Ability to create entertaining and persuasive messages
- Ability to work in teams/small groups
- Ability to identify and manage different needs of individuals, groups, etc.
- Ability to present specific viewpoints and influence others
- Experience with editing software, Avid an asset
THANK YOU to all those who express interest in being a part of the DHX Studios team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted.