Bardel is currently recruiting for a talented Shader Writer to work collaboratively with our Emmy award winning studio team. The Shader Writer is responsible for writing shaders in Open Shading Language (OSL) for our shader library as well as working on other look-development tools used in production with our physically-based ray tracer. Production support of shows and departments will also be part of the Shader Writer’s responsibilities.
What you will be doing:
- Designing and architecting Rendering & Shading technologies
- Writing Arnold shaders and tools
- Integrating new rendering technologies within Clarisse and Katana
- Translating production requests into technical implementation
- Working in conjunction with supervisors, TDs and artists to ensure images can be created to the highest standard
- Collaborate on best practices and work to remediate workflow inefficiencies
- Problem solving in a dynamic environment to produce high quality, easy to maintain code
- Production support of above shaders and tools in an urgent and timely fashion
- Perform other Ad Hoc tasks as required
What you bring with you:
- Strong knowledge of current Shading & Rendering technologies
- Fluency in C, C++ and Python
- Experience with a shading language/shader API (OSL, BXDF, RIS, RSL, GLSL, Arnold, Mantra, etc)
- Minimum 3 years previous VFX or Animation Pipeline experience
- Experience with volumetric shading and rendering in Arnold
- Experience with CUDA based real-time renderers is an asset
- A university degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar field
- Experience with Git and Github, various build and CI systems
- Experience developing on Linux
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Experience testing code and ability to create clear documentation
- Ability to develop code independently or as part of a team
- Flexible and able to work in a frequently changing environment
Why work at Bardel?
We’ve got great people here, and for good reasons. Bardel offers a generous benefit package, regular social events and ongoing development opportunities for employees to advance their careers through work on prominent and exciting industry projects. You will collaborate with other influential, career-minded creative professionals from around the world, and have the opportunity to grow in your career.
What we want to see in your application:
Tell us why YOU are the person for the position and how you meet the position’s criteria. Forward us your current resume and samples of your work (eg. a link to your website or reel – don’t hesitate to show off a little!).
How to apply:
Please visit our website at http://www.bardel.ca/now-hiring/ to apply.
We thank all applicants who express an interest in being part of the Bardel team. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of submissions received, we will only be in touch with those that are a compelling match for one of our current openings.
About Bardel Entertainment Inc.
Emmy Award®-winning studio, Bardel Entertainment Inc., has been a leading animation studio in North America for over 30 years due to its stellar reputation built on three core values: quality, creativity and innovation. Led by CEO, Rick Mischel, previously a producer at Sony Pictures Animation, Bardel is recognized as one of the most trusted names in the industry.
Bardel has over 500 employees in two state-of-the-art studios, one in Vancouver and one in Kelowna, Canada and a fully integrated studio in Rome, Italy. Currently, Bardel is the only full-service animation studio concurrently providing animation services in CG and 2D animation television and features for a diverse slate of U.S. blue-chip partners: Nickelodeon, DreamWorks, Warner Bros., and Cartoon Network-Adult Swim, as well as an outstanding group of content creators.
Recent work includes award-winning series such as Rainbow Butterfly Unicorn Kitty, The Dragon Prince, Rick and Morty, Teen Titans Go!, 44 Cats and the newly announced Magic: The Gathering. In 2019, Bardel won two Kidscreen Awards for The Dragon Prince. In 2018 Bardel won an Emmy for Best Animated Series for Rick and Morty. In 2018, Dinotrux was nominated for an Annie Award and Rick and Morty received the Critics' Choice award for animation and won for a Emmy Award. Bardel also won won Emmy Awards for the DreamWorks’s TV shows King Julien (2017) and an Emmy Award for Dinotrux (2016).
In 2015, Bardel was acquired by Italy-based Rainbow Group, one of the largest animation producers and licensors in the world with subsidiaries in Moscow, Hong Kong and Singapore.