Are you a Technical Surfacing Artist interested in working with us in our Vancouver studio?! The Technical Surfacing Artist will engage in technical troubleshooting, developing workflows and prototyping complex looks. This role will is also be responsible for giving models the visual surface qualities that make them appear believable. Surfacing can encompass texture painting, procedural texturing, shading networks, sculpting, grooming and UV layout.
What you’ll get to do:
- Delve into the technical side of surfacing, supporting the creation of high-quality digital assets that meet the technical and aesthetic standards of the project
- Create photo-realistic (physically plausible) surfaces
- Troubleshoot issues with shaders, turntable renders, and surfacing tools
- Provide solutions to visual problems by creating photo-realistic textures, either hand painted or procedural, to the necessary level of detail for production assets
- Help create procedural rigs for Grooming and Instance distribution
- Work closely with the Lead and Supervisor to help achieve the project’s visual goals
- Create and update technical documentation for surfacing workflows
- Participate in reviews as required; be willing to show work in progress
- Pro-actively escalate technical issues to more senior artists or lead
- Complete assignments in a timely manner and adhere to set deadlines
- Assist with project clean up and archiving on an ongoing basis
- Follow all department guidelines and common practices
- Stay up-to-date on technology and the entertainment industry
What you bring:
- 3+ years’ experience on feature films, TV, and/or animated features, with a focus in Surfacing
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality texturing, shading, lookdev, and grooming
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong visual skills
- Technical background with the ability to troubleshoot surfacing related issues, such as shaders, renders, and surfacing tools
- Experience working within Houdini, utilizing the technology for material and groom rig creation
- Proven ability to create HDAs (digital assets)
- Production experience with Houdini
- Production experience in Maya and Mari
- Experience in a modern raytrace renderer
- Thorough understanding of, and experience working in, a physically based shading system
- Proven ability with node-based procedural shading
- Proven ability with node-based or procedural grooming and/or instancing tools
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to work solo, as well as collaboratively, within a team environment
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward
- Working experience with Python and/or VEX is a bonus
- Experience with shader writing is a bonus
- Knowledge or experience with USD is a bonus
Animal Logic is recognised as one of the world’s leading independent creative digital studios, producing award winning design, visual effects and animation for almost 30 years. Earlier this year, the multisite studio delivered the hybrid live action/animated feature, Peter Rabbit 2 and is currently in production on Super Pets. Other recent credits include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part and Peter Rabbit.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic, Vancouver.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!