Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Technical Surfacing Artist. The Technical Surfacing Artist will engage in technical troubleshooting, developing workflows, and prototyping complex looks. This role will also be responsible for giving models the visual surface qualities that make them appear believable. Lookdev/Surfacing can include: texture painting; procedural texturing; shading networks; sculpting; grooming; and UV layout. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Surfacing Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Delve into the technical side of surfacing, supporting the creation of high-quality digital assets that meet the technical and aesthetic standards of the project
- Create photo-realistic (physically plausible) surfaces
- Troubleshoot issues with shaders, turntable renders, and surfacing tools
- Provide solutions to visual problems by creating photo-realistic textures, either hand painted or procedural, to the necessary level of detail for production assets
- Help create procedural rigs for Grooming and Instance distribution
- Work closely with the Lead and Supervisor to help achieve the project’s visual goals
- Create and update technical documentation for surfacing workflows
- Participate in reviews as required; be willing to show work in progress
- Pro-actively escalate technical issues to more senior artists or lead
- Complete assignments in a timely manner and adhere to set deadlines
- Assist with project clean up and archiving on an ongoing basis
- Follow all department guidelines and common practices
- Stay up-to-date on technology and the entertainment industry
- 3+ years’ experience on feature films, TV, and/or animated features, with a focus in Surfacing
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality texturing, shading, lookdev, and grooming
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong visual skills
- Technical background with the ability to troubleshoot surfacing related issues, such as shaders, renders, and surfacing tools
- Experience working within Houdini, utilizing the technology for material and groom rig creation
- Proven ability to create HDAs (digital assets)
- Production experience with Houdini
- Production experience in Maya and Mari
- Experience in a modern raytrace renderer
- Thorough understanding of, and experience working in, a physically based shading system
- Proven ability with node-based procedural shading
- Proven ability with node-based or procedural grooming and/or instancing tools
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to work solo, as well as collaboratively, within a team environment
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward
The following would be considered a bonus:
- Working experience with Python and/or VEX
- Experience with shader writing
- Knowledge or experience with USD
Salary range CAD$80 – 115k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney and Vancouver and development teams in LA. After the Vancouver studio wrapped in early 2019 on their first animated feature, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, production quickly began on their next project DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
In 2020, Animal Logic delivered the hybrid live action/animated feature, Peter Rabbit 2. Recent credits include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!