Animal Logic – the studio that brought you the LEGO Movie – is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work as part of the pipeline development team to ensure the core studio pipeline is implemented, maintained and supported across multiple sites. They will design, develop and maintain robust and scalable software. This is a fulltime, permanent role that reports to the R&D Development Lead.
- Execute the full software development lifecycle
- Adheres to R&D best practices of software development, including:
- solution design / review
- source version control
- code reviews
- testing, including TDD
- release management
- Work with the development team to ensure that the core tool infrastructure is operational and performing
- Support, monitor and troubleshoot complex production applications
- Work with existing development processes and codebase
- Participate in development meetings with emphasis on inspecting and adapting processes that improve the development lifecycle
- Work with production team to understand requirements and build quality software that meet their needs
- Build technical and user documentation to support the systems and software tools
- Experience working in software development for at least 5 years in the same or similar industry
- A post-secondary qualification in Computer Science, Engineering or related fields
- Strong skills in Python
- Experience with the APIs of a number of industry standard DCC applications such as Maya, Nuke, Houdini etc, and an understanding of how to build tools using them
- Experience with Git/Github or other SCM systems, and any number of Build, CI and Package Management systems (Jenkins, Rez, Cmake etc)
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Deep understanding of Software Engineering Theory, Patterns and Best Practices
- Ability to write Documentation targeting different audiences (e.g. Developers, TDs, Artists)
- Ability to work in a challenging environment, take direction and possess good communication skills
- Willing to work in a production environment and collaborate with artistic staff
You might also have:
- Understanding of additional subject areas such as UI/UX, Software Configuration, Application Development, Asset Management as appropriate
- Proficiency in C++
- Experience with USD and/or other Scene/Renderer Description formats
- Strong Linux skills and understanding of modern systems architecture
- Performance analysis, debugging and optimisation skills
- Familiarity with industry-standard open source libraries such as OpenImageIO, Boost, OpenEXR. Qt/PyQt etc.
- Experience building and deploying web services
- People management/leadership experience within a development team
- Project management skills
Salary range CAD$115 – 145k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney and Vancouver and development teams in LA. After the Vancouver studio wrapped in early 2019 on their first animated feature, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, production quickly began on their next project DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
In 2020, Animal Logic delivered the hybrid live action/animated feature, Peter Rabbit 2. Recent credits include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!