Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Senior FX Artist. The FX Artist understands both the technical and creative requirements for the film and needs to produce high quality FX. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Provide solutions to creative briefs through existing tools & processes in order to help define key looks for FX on the film
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Assist in the development of the FX pipeline and tools (in conjunction with TDs and R&D)
- Develop simulations and procedural workflows with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead (including ethereal and magical looks, destruction, water simulation, fire and smoke, particles, clouds, and other volumetrics)
- Develop techniques and rigs to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Accurately gauge time it takes to achieve tasks and hit deadlines consistently
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (e.g. Lighting and Compositing) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Become proficient with the departments propriety tools
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews
- Be willing to assist/mentor junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
- 5 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- 5+ years’ experience in working on high quality FX and simulations using Houdini FX tools
- 2+ years’ experience in crowd/character FX is a plus
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Experience in look development
- Strong technical background with ability to assist in development of FX pipeline and tools as well as rigs and FX templates
- Houdini: SOPs/DOPs/POPs essential
- Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Lighting/Surfacing/Shading experience a plus
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
Salary range CAD$88 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have teams based in Sydney, LA and most recently Vancouver, within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has just wrapped, with more animated features in the pipeline including DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and Super Pets. Recent productions include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!