Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Senior Concept Modeller. The Concept Modeller will work within the modelling Department and in conjunction with the Art team. The artist will create 3D character and prop prototypes as well as design in 2D as required. Their models and designs will inform the crew of the intended visual direction required for the movie. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Modelling Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Take a rough design or verbal portrayal through to a fully realized rendered 3d image through various stages
- Produce appealing models to a high standard with a thorough understanding of shape, scale and form for Maya models
- Research and source as required any imagery to help with the production of the 3D concepts
- Work within/produce – topology/wire frame, turntables, character sculpts
- Assume responsibility for ensuring assigned work is produced to appropriate standard quality within the scheduled timeframe and deadline
- Ensure a high level of communication is maintained with the Modelling Supervisor, Art Director and Production Designer
- If required, produce quick sketch ideas and iterations to inform on intent as briefed
- Utilise Maya and other 3d software to realise images
- 8 + years’ experience on animated feature films plus 8 + years’ experience in Modelling and Art & Design
- Proficiency with feature animation quality of character design and prop prototypes through 3D modelling, demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Experience with doing rapid iterations of design & modeling under the direction of the Art director and/or Production Designer
- Ability to produce variations of 3D concept to satisfy the creative decision process
- The ability to create models that consider the camera lensing of the movie
- Experience in producing conceptual modelling without a supplied design
- Able to demonstrate an expressive and cartoon aesthetic
- Ability to interpret director’s notes and 2D illustrations into 3D form without the need for extensive turnaround artwork
- Extensive experience with Maya
- Experience of working in a feature film pipeline
- Proficiency in both hard surface as well as organic modelling techniques and topology
- Proven technical and visual skills with an understanding of art and design within animation environment
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward
Salary range CAD$88 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney and Vancouver and development teams in LA. After the Vancouver studio wrapped in early 2019 on their first animated feature, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, production quickly began on their next project DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!