Animal Logic – the studio that brought you the LEGO Movie – is looking for a Senior Character Finalling Artist. The Senior Character Finalling Artist will implement character shot based clean-up and deformation effects, post Animation. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Animation Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Manage shot based deformation enhancements post Animation. This includes:
- Deformation clean-up due to rigs pushed beyond capability
- Adding deformation effects simulating interaction
- Collaborate with adjacent departments on deformation requirements
- Understand the visual requirements for the film and in consultation with your Lead and/or Supervisor, provide input into the procedures and techniques that will enable these to be met
- Adhere to deadlines and anticipate, communicate and troubleshoot technical issues with Production
- Help provide solutions to creative briefs through existing tools & processes
- Understand department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Be willing to assist/mentor junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
- 5+ years’ experience in feature animation, VFX, and/or animated television with a focus in Character Finalling or Shot Sculpting
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Knowledge of Character Finalling/Shot Sculpting in Maya
- Knowledge of human/animal anatomy and form
- Strong technical background with an ability to assist in the development of the Character Finalling pipeline and tools
- Solid knowledge of pipeline, process, tools and techniques with an understanding of industry standards, conventions, formats and common practice
- Proven ability to create and deliver shot based deformation corrections in a timely manner
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize assigned tasks
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire, mentor, and motivate the team
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
The following would be considered a bonus:
- Experience with sculpting package (i.e. Z-brush) helpful but not mandatory
- Knowledge of both mechanical and organic type rigs in a production environment is a bonus
- Software development experience using Python, and relevant application API is a plus
Salary range CAD$88 – 115k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney and Vancouver and development teams in LA. After the Vancouver studio wrapped in early 2019 on their first animated feature, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, production quickly began on their next project DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
In 2020, Animal Logic delivered the hybrid live action/animated feature, Peter Rabbit 2. Recent credits include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!