Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Modelling Supervisor. The Modelling Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of Modelling artists, ensuring that the Art Director and Director’s vision is achieved through efficient supervision. They are responsible for ensuring that standard and quality of work produced within the Modelling craft is consistently high to achieve the director’s vision and brief. This is to be achieved whilst working in collaboration with relevant technical, creative and production staff, and within the constraints of the production budget and schedule as directed by the company.
What you’ll get to do:
- Work closely with the Director, Co-Director, Production Designer, Art Director, CG Supervisor, and other craft Supervisors to define and maintain the visual style of an animated film
- Oversee and drive the Modelling team to deliver creative goals in a timely manner and to the highest standard; provide detailed and specific feedback to the Modelling department
- Partner with Production Management to ensure milestones and efficient delivery expectations are met and identify any issues that may impact the schedule
- Ensure all Modelling bids are delivered in the required format and in a timely manner, including any necessary assumptions
- Work within the time and budgetary parameters of the project, and with the art director, visual effects and CG supervisors to deliver a film
- Delegate work responsibly to ensure successful completion of shots across team members of all skill levels
- Engage in exchanges of ideas and methodologies to provide optimal solutions for creative and technical challenges of project as required
- Supervise, define, implement and maintain the techniques and methodologies required to achieve the successful execution of the Modelling output for the film
- Understand department pipelines including all current assets and tools, and their purpose and provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Identify any inefficiencies and work with relevant departments and supervisors to rectify the issues
- Partner with Artist Management to build, nurture, mentor, and structure the Modelling team and Asset TDs; work with recruitment to evaluate and interview candidates
- Encourage a positive and collaborative atmosphere by fostering an environment of respect, integrity and trust
What you bring:
- 7+ years’ Modelling experience in feature animation, VFX and/or animated television
- 2+ years’ in a supervisory role within feature animation or VFX preferred; extensive leadership experience may be considered
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Expert knowledge with Maya and Z-Brush
- Experience with Marvelous Designer and UV Layouts; Houdini experience considered a bonus
- Expert knowledge and understanding of :
- hard surface and organic modelling techniques and topology
- proper edge flow and polygon density
- topological requirements of subdivision surface for both static and deforming models
- Expertise in both hard surface and organic environments, props, and creatures
- Deep understanding of industry standards, conventions, and formats to enable successful completion of work
- Deep understanding of digital production and overall pipeline methodology
- Proven technical and visual skills with an understanding of art and design within animation environment
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to abstract and interpret design down to its’ fundamentals
- Strong communication skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Experience in leading a team; motivating artists, providing feedback and fostering a constructive team dynamic
- Proven ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and build relationships across departments
What do you value?
- Collaborative culture – We produce amazing award winning films in a culture that is passionate, fun, and friendly. We are one big family!
- Benefits – We’ve got you covered from day one! Massage, dental, and an on-site gym, to name a few.
- Work/Life balance – We understand that people have families and activities outside of work, so we work hard to create a balance between work and life.
- Social animals – Join your co-workers in various social activities such as after work drinks, bake-offs, creative competitions and sporting events.
Interested? Check out our online application form via the following link: https://grnh.se/43acd0901
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and Super Pets. Recent productions include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!