Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for Houdini Modellers. The Modelling Artist will interpret a variety of media from Concept Art and create applicable, working 3D models back into the pipeline ready for utilisation from other departments. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Modelling Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Build and maintain procedural environments using Houdini and USD
- Work with R&D and Assets TDs to create a workflow for large scale procedural environments
- Interpret 2D designs and translate them into 3D space by utilizing software such as Houdini, Maya, UV Layout, Z- Brush, all while maintaining the original artistic intent
- Produce complex models to a high standard with a thorough understanding of shape, scale and form for Maya models
- Produce highly optimized meshes that can be rendered and displayed efficiently for downstream departments such as Rigging, Layout and Lighting
- Assume responsibility for ensuring assigned work is produced to appropriate standard quality within the scheduled timeframe and deadline
- Ensure a high level of communication is maintained with the Model Lead and Supervisor, particularly where situations arise that may compromise the quality or scheduled delivery of material
- Distribute and share knowledge regularly to assist in the ongoing development of innovative tools and or techniques for modelling
- Efficiently document workflow and feedback from Leads or Supervisors
- Assist with the training and mentoring of less experienced modelling artists as required and maintain a discipline of leadership by example
- Interact with tracking systems and production staff
- 3+ years’ experience working in Houdini on feature films, TV series, or within the gaming industry
- Proficiency is demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Proficiency in Houdini and Maya
- Experience with Z-Brush is a bonus
- Proficiency in hard surface modelling techniques and topology
- Solid understanding of proper edge flow and polygon density
- Solid understanding of the topological requirements of subdivision surface for both static and deforming models
- Proficiency in both hard surface and organic modelling, environments and props
- Proficiency in creature modelling is a bonus
- Strong understanding of industry standards, conventions, and formats to enable successful completion of work
- Proven technical and visual skills with an understanding of art and design within animation environment
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to abstract and interpret design down to its fundamentals
- Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality while adhering to project and team deadlines
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward
- Completed education in a relevant field is preferable
Salary range CAD$65 – 115k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have teams based in Sydney, LA and most recently Vancouver, within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has just wrapped, with more animated features in the pipeline including DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and Super Pets. Recent productions include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!