Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Character Rigging Artist. The Character Rigging Artist will work closely with a variety of departments including; R&D, Art, Modelling, Layout and Animation, to develop, implement, maintain and support character and prop deformation rigs for use in both Layout and Animation. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Rigging Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Develop and maintain procedural rig components with a specific focus on deformation, using a custom Python Rigging API. This includes:
- Works with the Rigging Supervisor and Lead as well as character modellers to explore character geometry topology which has the most efficient deformation
- Following a brief to produce complex production ready rig deformation of a high standard
- Working with Animators to aid with deformation rigs and/or a broad range of motion requirements
- Supporting rigs as they move through the pipeline and aid with additional deformation fixes for character shot finalling
- 3+ years’ experience in feature animation, VFX, and/or animated television with a focus in Rigging and deformation
- Deformation proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Experience with both mechanical and/or organic type rigs with preference in feature animation
- Strong and production proven knowledge of rigging and deformation using Maya
- Understanding and confidence with OOP in Python and learning/working to proprietary APIs, useful but not mandatory
- Solid knowledge in pipeline, process, tools and techniques with a high level understanding of industry standards, conventions, formats and common practice
- Solid knowledge of both mechanical and organic type rigs in a production environment
- Proven ability to create and deliver production ready rigs in a timely manner
- Proven solid technical and visual skills, excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and build relationships across departments
- English written and oral communication skills and the ability to connect with a wide variety of personalities
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or rigs moving forward
Salary range CAD$80 – 120k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney and Vancouver and development teams in LA. After the Vancouver studio wrapped in early 2019 on their first animated feature, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, production quickly began on their next project DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
In 2020, Animal Logic delivered the hybrid live action/animated feature, Peter Rabbit 2. Recent credits include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!