Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Matte Painter. The position involves working closely with the Production Designer, Art Director and Matte Painting Lead to create believable environments, stylized 2D and 3D matte paintings, and help in the creation of an animated feature film. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Matte Painting Lead and Artist Management.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Create environments using combinations of modelled/textured assets, projections, illustrations
- Create paintings and elements that match concept and style using 3D and 2D tools and techniques including camera setup, modelling for projection, camera animation, projection setup, image re-projection, and atmospherics and light passes
- Collaborate with other members of the production such as modelling, surfacing, lighting and compositing in order to get the best result in the most efficient way
- Learn the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- 3+ years’ experience in digital matte painting (feature animation is strongly preferred)
- Proficiency demonstrated through past project work and/or reel/portfolio
- Proven production experience using Photoshop & Nuke
- Ability to combine 2D and 3D elements into believable environments with attention to design and artistic detail
- Strong knowledge of camera focal lengths, a good sense of composition, and colour theory
- Thorough understanding of perspective, lighting, and colour
- Ability to creatively solve problems and efficiently organize and prioritize work across multiple areas
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
- Open to new workflows and tool sets
- Ability to take direction and feedback; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
- Ability to create stylistic environments with an analogue painted/drawn style and good sense of stylized natural light would be an advantage
- Ability to produce concept art that conveys the style, lighting and character of the brief would be an advantage
- Other software skills including Maya, Houdini, Terragen or Vue would be an advantage
Salary range CAD$88-130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney and Vancouver and development teams in LA. After the Vancouver studio wrapped in early 2019 on their first animated feature, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, production quickly began on their next project DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!