We are currently looking for a Technical Surfacing Artist to work on Lego 2 in Vancouver!
Surfacing Artists at Animal Logic are responsible for giving models the visual surface qualities that make them appear believable. Surfacing can encompass texture painting, procedural texturing, shading networks, sculpting, grooming and UV layout. This is a full time, contract role that reports to Artist Management
Responsibility highlights include:
- Delving into the technical side of surfacing to enable yourself and the team to produce high quality digital texture/lookdev work that meets all technical and aesthetic standards for the project
- Troubleshoot shaders and renders, as well as surfacing tools and pipeline
- Shader writing experience a bonus
- Create photo-realistic textures, either hand painted or procedural to a level of detail necessary for production assets
- Create photo-realistic (physically plausible) shading
- Create procedural grooms as required for the project
- Take direction from Surfacing Lead, and present solutions or questions
- Participate in reviews as required
- Pro-actively escalate technical issues to more senior artists or lead
- Complete assignments in a timely manner and adhere to set deadlines
- Assist with project clean up and archiving on an ongoing basis
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure all surfacing works through the pipeline
Requirement highlights include:
- 3+ years’ experience working on high quality texturing, shading and lookdev (preferably photo-realistic) for feature films, TV and/or animated features
- Thorough understanding of, and experience working in, a physically based shading system
- Proven ability with node-based procedural shading
- Experience with node-based or procedural grooming and/or set dressing tools
- Extensive production experience with Mari
- Extensive production experience in Maya and experience in a modern raytracing package
Experience with Nuke
- Experience sculpting with Mudbox, and scripting in Python is a bonus
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Possess excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and problem solve
- Willingness to learn and contribute to the success of the team and the project
- English written and oral communication skills and the ability to connect with a wide variety of personalities
- A traditional arts background in a relevant field is an advantage
Salary range CAD$85 – 120K and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs or contact us at email@example.com
Animal Logic recently completed production on The LEGO® Batman Movie, The Great Wall and The Master: A LEGO® Ninjago Short. Animal Logic is currently in production on, The LEGO® Ninjago Movie (2017), Peter Rabbit (2018) and The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). Other film credits include The LEGO® Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix. Yes, that’s all us!
We are based in Sydney, LA and are now very excited to be establishing a presence in Vancouver within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature has commenced with more animated features in the pipeline. Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!