Everything will be awesome when you’re part of the team! Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Senior Matte Painter. The position involves working closely with the Production Designer, Art Director and Matte Painting Lead to realize the productions requirements. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to Artist Management.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Re-create life like environments using projections, illustrations and assets
- Produce complex matte painted elements to a high standard with a thorough understanding of perspective, lighting, and colour
- Collaborate with other members of the production such as modelling, surfacing, lighting and compositing in order to get the best result in the most efficient way
- Produce concept art that conveys the style, lighting and character of the brief would be an advantage
- Understand department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose. Become proficient with the departments propriety tools
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews and be willing to assist junior team members in this area when required
- Assist junior team members with any technical challenges
- 5 + years’ experience on feature film required (feature animation is strongly preferred)
- Proven production experience using Photoshop, Nuke and Maya
- Ability to combine 2D and 3D elements into believable environments
- A strong knowledge of camera focal lengths, a good sense of composition, and colour theory
- Ability to creatively solve problems
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Open to new workflows and tool sets
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize assigned tasks
- Willing to learn, and contribute to the success of the team and project
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to take direction and feedback; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
- English verbal and written skills are required to fulfil the requirements of the job
- Other software skills that would be an advantage would include Mari, Mudbox, Zbrush, Vue, and LDD
To be successful, please include in your reel examples of:
- Believable environments
- Art direction & design
- Strong sense of lighting
- Variety of styles
- Reel breakdown (if available)
Salary range CAD$105 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website. http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Animal Logic recently completed production on The LEGO® Batman Movie, The Great Wall and The Master: A LEGO® Ninjago Short. Animal Logic is currently in production on, The LEGO® Ninjago Movie (2017), Peter Rabbit (2018) and The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). Other film credits include The LEGO® Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix. Yes, that’s all us!
We are based in Sydney, LA and are now very excited to be establishing a presence in Vancouver within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature has commenced with more animated features in the pipeline. Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!