Animal Logic – the studio that brought you Peter Rabbit – is looking for experienced Character FX Artists to join our team in Vancouver. The Character FX Artist is responsible for simulation of hair, fur, skin, cloth, muscles and feather effects on creatures and props in an animated film. They will maintain a deep understanding of the visual and creative requirements of the film that will allow them to create high quality effects.
This is a full-time, contract role that reports to the Character FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Develop hair, cloth, and fur simulations with direction from the Department Supervisor or Lead
- Develop intelligent Houdini character setups, that can be highly automated
- Develop techniques and Houdini Digital Assets to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor and/or Lead
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Understand the processes of adjoining departments (Animation, Modelling, Surfacing and Rigging) and communicate with these departments as needed
- Become proficient with the department’s propriety tools
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews.
- 3+ years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature with a focus in Character FX and simulations
- Past experience, demonstrated via reel, of feature animation quality hair, fur, cloth, and feather effects simulation.
- Production experience using Houdini: Vellum & grooming tools
- Production experience using Houdini: SOPs/DOPs essential
- Production experience using Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable
- Production experience with Numerions Carbon Cloth a Bonus
- Understanding of muscle and skin simulation desired
- Understanding of anatomy and form in motion
- Ability to craft Non Photoreal FX, from a creative brief.
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize assigned tasks
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members.
- Strong written and verbal English language abilities.
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas.
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference.
What you should include in your demo reel/portfolio:
- Complex and problem solving Character FX shot work
- Houdini simulations
- Any digital assets and setups you’ve contributed to, created or developed yourself
Salary range CAD$75 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have animation studios in Sydney, Australia and Vancouver, Canada, and a development office in Los Angeles. Our Vancouver studio is within the creative precinct of Yaletown and is currently working on DC Super Pets, set for release in 2022. Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800. This studio opened its doors in 2015 to begin work on the animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, which was released in 2019.
About Animal Logic
Animal Logic is an independent Australian company that has been at the forefront of creating digital content, award winning design, visual effects and animation for the film and television industries for over 25 years. With creative studios in Sydney and Vancouver and offices for the company’s development arm, Animal Logic Entertainment, in Sydney and Los Angeles, Animal Logic continues to forge new partnerships and collaborations with leading studios and filmmakers to develop and produce stories that resonate with a global audience.
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic!